We have evolved to where each user has one username and ONE password. We may refer to your CADE or CoE username and password. This is separate from your CIS/uNID and it’s password, but we may ask you to use those for authentication, such as when creating your account or changing your password.
Your CADE/CoE username is some combination of letters from your names (First, Middle(s), & Last) and generated by an algorithm. Once created, we don’t change them except in rare circumstances.
Your CADE/CoE account is use for:
• logging in to any Linux, MacOS, or Windows computer on our Domain (USERS\ or users.coe.utah.edu), including lab machines, Terminal Servers, VDI hosts, or other Virtual Machines.
• connecting/mounting a Network File Share with CIFS/SMB.
• WebPrint and any PaperCut printing services.
• logging in to your DreamSpark and MSDNAA accounts.
• mounting a Network File Share with NFS.
Note: Your CADE/CoE username and passwords are 100% separate and in addition to your CIS or other campus logins and accounts. Some departments may have labs or computers that require specific logins.
CADE offers the follwing severs for accessing email:
Outgoing mail (SMTP):
mail.eng.utah.edu (for on-campus use ONLY)
Each of these servers can be used with the secure (ssl) option in your email client.
We used to ofter a Sympa Listserve, for creating and maintaining mailing lists, but now direct you to the Campus Sympa for such purposes. See their site for more information and details on requesting a list: https://uofu.service-now.com/cf/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0000547 or https://www.lists.utah.edu/
To unsubscribe from a list, do as follows:
1. From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. In the subject line of your email, type in: unsubscribe nameofthelist (replace ‘nameofthelist‘ by the name of the list you want to unsubscribe from).
3. Leave the message body blank. To save some time, you can also send several commands in a single message. To do that, follow the instructions available in the ‘How the mailing list service works’ section.
You can also unsubscribe through the mailing list web interface (you will need to repeat the operation for each list you want to unsubscribe from):
1. Go to the list environment homepage and log on with your e-mail address as the username.
2. Go to the information page of the list you want to unsubscribe from.
3. In the left menu, click on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link.
Further list information is available at https://sympa.eng.utah.edu/sympa/help
NOTICE: We will be retiring the server that runs Sympa at the end of June, 2017. Please consider moving all mailing lists to other services, such as https://www.lists.utah.edu/.
To arrange to have any e-mail that you receive on your CADE Lab account forwarded to a different address, do the following from any CADE Lab computer:
1. Choose the address to which you would like your e-mail forwarded. Let’s suppose it is email@example.com
2. Issue the following two commands from a Unix shell window:
echo “firstname.lastname@example.org” > .forward
(The first command directs you to your home directory; the second creates a file named .forward that contains your forwarding address.)
Alternatively, you can set it using our Webmail. Login and click the ‘Settings’ button at the upper right. Click the ‘Vacation’ tab and fill in the ‘Forwarding’ box at the bottom. Be sure to click ‘Save’ when you have finished.
The mail server that we currently use is somewhat paranoid about security. If the permissions on any part of the directory in which your ~/.forward exists is group (or world!) writable, it ignores it.
You can check this with the commands:
test1@lab1-31 ~> pwd
test1@lab1-31 ~> ls -ld .
drwxrwxr-x 37 test1 guest 24576 Jan 12 15:39 ./
^ this is the problem.
Change to non-group writable with the command:
test1@lab1-31 ~> chmod g-w .
test1@lab1-31 ~> ls -ld .
drwxr-xr-x 37 test1 guest 24576 Jan 12 15:39 ./
and send yourself some mail to test it.
This answer could be made somewhat complicated, but the easy answer is:
For instance if your username at the CADE is: bclinton
and your department is Mechanical Engineering, you email address could also be:
This is separate from your UMail account (UNID@utah.edu, or whatever alias you set via UNID-Tools). Some departments are set to use UMail for their @dept.utah.edu address. Inquire within.
That is likely an e-mail Phishing Scam
We regularly receive alerts from users about emails that are requesting their webmail username and password. Luckily, most people realize these are scams and ignore them. However, we would just like the reinforce the importance of not clicking on anything you believe to be dubious.
CADE will NEVER ask you for your password information.
If you receive one of these e-mails, please mark it ask SPAM/Junk or ignore it and delete it. If you clicked a link in one or provided any login information in response, please let us know so we can help you change your passwords and protect your account.
Rather than creating and maintaining a list of e-mail addresses for a group you mail frequently, use a mailing list service to create the list and allow users to maintain which e-mail address messages are sent to.
We used to offer a Sympa Listserve for just this purpose, but we now must point you to the UIT Sympa or Exchange mailing lists: https://uofu.service-now.com/cf/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0000547 and https://www.lists.utah.edu/
Sympa or Exchange? https://uofu.service-now.com/cf/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0001129
We will continue to support existing lists via our Sympa server until they can be merged to UITs servers by June 30, 2017.
See https://sympa.eng.utah.edu/sympa. You should log in with the e-mail address you’ll be using to manage the list as your username. Use the Help tab for instructions, but creating a list is easy on the ‘Create List’ tab. Log back in once created to manage how messages are sent, who can see the archives, etc.